Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Day 10 - Little Reminders

Well...its still hard adjusting to the time change, but I made it out of bed.  I ran 6 min, walked 2 min, ran 6 min, walked 2 min, ran 3 min, walked 2 min.  Blah..I know its boring, but it will be a reminder for me when I come back to read this and see where I've come.

My coach in High School always taught me to write down my training and information so that I would have it to reflect on.  Every day after cross country we did this and stored them in a folder.  At the end of High School she gave them to us so that we could remember where had come from.

A couple other little reminders came to me this morning as I was running and feeling the tension in my legs.  Back in the day (lol) I was always one to remind people to drop their shoulders when they run and let your arms relax.  Carrying your shoulders high just adds to more work the body has to do.

The other key that I always have to remind myself is that I need to lengthen my stride.  I remember actively working on this in the early days of running and how much easier it is to run with you can go farther forward with each step and being able to take fewer steps to cover the distance.  It also aids in the impact you have on the ground, which in the long run will save your legs and back from pain and destruction that could occur from running on harder surfaces like asphalt or concrete.

Overall, my legs don't really hurt after the runs anymore, just during.  Being able to stretch and walk around really has helped the overall pain.  Now to just build up the endurance again.

No comments:

Post a Comment